I am no makeup guru because I am waaaaaaay too lazy for that. I have never been one of those people who wakes up early to do extra things to my face and hair. Most mornings I get ready in about 30 minutes (because I wake up late and literally have no choice).
I am also lazy at cleaning. BUT this means I always look for the most efficient way to get things done as quickly as possible.
Last night I wanted to make sure I had fresh make up brushes for the morning, so I cleaned my brushes before bed and thought I would share my lazy girl method with ya!
- Dirty make up brushes (duh). I use something similar to the Sonia Kashuk Essential Eye Kit brushes and a few Real Technique brushes from Wal-Mart
- Small bowl or cup
- Shampoo (but not just any shampoo. I use an organic, paraben and sulfate free shampoo)
- Hot water
What you do:
- Run your faucet until your water is hot
- Pour about a quarter size dollop of shampoo in the bottom of your bowl or cup
- Add an equal ratio of water to shampoo
- Swish your dirty brush around on the bottom of the cup. You will notice the make up coming off the brush and changing the color of your shampoo
- Once the brush is saturated with the mixture, scrub it a little bit more using your fingers
- Rinse under the faucet and repeat if necessary!
- Shake or towel dry to remove excess water from brushes
- Set brushes horizontally (like over the edge of the sink) to allow to air dry
I have messed around with different brands of store bought cleaners and so far this is my favorite method. Another trusty method is to use equal parts dish soap, white vinegar, and water as the cleaning mixture, but I didn’t like my brushes smelling like vinegar.
Bonus tip: have a back-up brush/sponge in case your brushes aren’t dry by the next time you need them. I’ve learned this from experience… 🙂
Here’s to clean brushes!